Some of the most frequently asked questions we receive from visitors to our
site involve the issue of mold. Most people already understand their seasonal
problems with pollens, but are confused as to whether or not mold in their homes
or offices might be contributing to their
asthma problems, allergy symptoms, or
poor health. The questions below explore the issue of mold and possible
solutions with and without air purifiers. We will review which units best
address this problem from Second Wind, UV Cleaner, Austin Air Purifier, UltraPure, Air Free, Neo Air,
II. Is Mold Truly a Problem?
Many people suspect that mold in their homes may be causing their health
problems, but are unsure if mold air purifiers will help. Others find the mold or musty smell in their homes
unpleasant, but don't believe it causes problems; they just want their homes to
smell fresher and to have a clean indoors. What is the truth about mold? Is it a problem or a part of nature
that we have to accept? If it is a problem, how much of a problem is it and is
there anything to be done about it?
Yes, mold is an aspect of nature and plays an important part in the decay of
leaves and trees. So mold is good – outdoors! Molds inside your home or
workplace are not good. Airborne mold spores inside your home really become a
problem when they land on moist or wet surfaces. Then they are free to reproduce
via the production of tiny invisible spores, and rapidly increase to amounts
which cause humans discomfort and even illness.
III. Exactly What Health Problems?
Mold particles are small enough to pass through the cilia in your sinuses and
too small to be easily exhaled, so they can become lodged in your lung tissue.
In comparison, larger particles such as dust are usually caught by the cilia
before they enter the lungs. (Some molds, called mycotoxins - they're the
products of mold metabolism - are potentially toxic). Thus molds which are
inhaled do cause
allergic reactions in many people – generally in the form of
runny or sneezing noses, red eyes, rashes, and the generally unwell feeling you
get when you have a cold or suffer from hay fever. The reaction is often instant
but sometimes may be delayed for hours. Asthmatic people can also have allergic
reactions to the inhalation of mold. As is often the case, infants, children,
and the elderly can be more greatly affected by mold inhalation than healthy
adults without air purification.
Most mold spores range from 3-100 microns in size but some can be as small as 1
micron. When looking at air purifiers to handle mold, it is important
to find one that takes out at least 3-micron size particulates or smaller. So
HEPA air purifiers that are typically rated to .3 microns or one third the size
of the smallest mold spore are appropriate.
IV. How Do I Get Rid of it?
You cannot entirely rid your home of mold, however, you can
substantially reduce it. If your house is old, there is a greater potential for
mold problems as anyone with a musty old basement knows. Newer, tightly built
homes that don't have good airflow can also be problematic. Office buildings,
particularly older ones are often rife with mold.
Extensive water damage that has resulted in the significant growth of mold may
require removal by a licensed contractor. Smaller, visible areas of mold should
be cleaned up with household cleaners and the areas dried. However, the mold is
often not visible because it is in hidden places. The mold may reside on a
surface but when the surface is disrupted, the spores become airborne and begin
to cause problems for people. The spores generally settle down in time but
whenever they are disrupted they take to the airflow again. That's where a
continuously running or mold air purifiers can be of great assistance in getting
a clean indoors. If you can't
entirely removed the mold or even find it, you can quickly and easily remove the
airborne spores with mold air purifiers. If you allow the mold spores to remain
floating around inside and they subsequently land in a wet area, the process
begins again with the growth of new mold.
Mold air purifiers with HEPA (high efficiency particulate arresting) filtration
systems are generally most effective at removing the airborne spores and air cleaning. Mold
spores don't reproduce without moisture. When airborne mold spores are pulled
into an air purifier, the HEPA filter traps them and they die. Mold does not
reproduce in the filters since there is no moisture in air purifiers. These
include units from
Since the main problem with mold is the removal
of the spores the electronic Air Free
is also a good alternative.
While it will not address the smell it is very efficient at removing particles
like mold spores from the airflow.
Whenever possible, remove the mold completely and take steps so that it
doesn't return. In the many cases when that is not possible, use a high quality,
HEPA mold air purifiers to continually absorb the airborne spores. Such air
purifiers are made to run 24/7 and actually work more efficiently when allowed
to do so. This will greatly help in the reduction of mold spores in the airflow
you breathe. Since mold does have the potential to slide right past the
protective cilia in the body and end up in the lung tissue, it's important to
stop it before it has the chance to reach your nose or those of your loved ones,
especially infants and children. The inhalation of mold spores can cause
allergic reactions in sensitive people and
asthmatics, and can cause hay fever
or cold-like symptoms in healthy, non-allergenic people. Mold has to go!
Orignal content published at www.AirPurifiers.com Air Purifiers - Allergy and Pollution Air Purifier Solutions
VALUE YOUR MONEY BEFORE PURCHASING AN AIR PURIFIER!
Answer the following questions:
- Does the chosen manufacturer have independent tests to prove its claims?
- How does the machine purify the air?
- Does the chosen air purifier generate ozone? Is it safe?
- How much will it cost to run? How much will it cost to replace filters and parts?
- Is it noisy?
- Is the technology clean and environmentally friendly?
- How big and heavy is it?
- Will it interfere in my house décor?